August 11, 2009

accidents waiting to happen.


Summing it all up...
(N. Carolina trip minus pictures.)

Wow. I feel like I need to update--finally. It's been too long. So last week was spent in North Carolina. Meredith and I took off in her '93 black accord with no A/C to North Carolina. Minimal stops were made. 1 stop for gas and we ate across the street at Steak 'N Shake. We ended up getting to our destination (her house in the Smokey's) around 10:30 pm. It was very odd because I felt like I knew this place so well. There was no fault in my memory of what the whole town/area looked like. I enjoyed the trip so much last year. I was excited just to return to the place that was so perfectly imprinted in my mind.

I was dying to get out of my town, get a change of pace, some new scenery for awhile. I think that this trip was a little different this year because last year it was all so new to me. I had never stayed up in the mountains or really even gone up in any mountain ranges--ever. I was enthralled with all the trees that grow so sneaky from the rocks that are pushed up high over the ground, the trails that weave so nicely through the woods, and the open land that graced the surrounding town. I was also happier last year. Happier in the sense that I was refreshed from returning from Malta & Germany. I was so in awe with new experiences and new territory. I wanted to explore it all. When I had a chance to go to North Carolina last year to stay in the Smokey's, I couldn't wait to see what lingered there for me. This year has been very redundant, not just on this trip, but this summer. Given, I fill my time with things I enjoy, it's just the same things I enjoy--all the time. This strips the fun away. All in all, second times around fall short to the first times. But of course, there were some great times on this trip. Some highlights...

Meredith and I headed to Asheville for a day, ate at the amazing Mellow Mushroom Pizza, and visited shop after shop of funky clothes, handmade accesories, decor, and unique shoes. I love the surrounding of Asheville. Very laid back/hippy-esque. Good, Good.

Of course we found the hookah bar in town. We got acquainted with the owner and enjoyed the space of the place. It was a really nice hookah bar. I have been in some nice hookah bars, but some of them are more dim, music blasting, black furniture, etc. This was different because the decor was all different but went together so well. On every table were conversation/coffee table books and games to play while you enjoyed the smoke. It was very well ran. We made two stops there on the trip.

Eating at a lil place called The Purple Onion. Meredith and I came across this because I wanted to go out to eat and get a Greek Salad somewhere and she searched food places in the area on her GPS. We were curious to see what kind of food they served so we called and found out they were a Mediterranean Cuisine. PERFECT. It was such a nice little place, great art on the walls from local artists, and they had a great staff of people.

We saw Funny People. It was enjoyable. Very long, but good. We spent a good amount of time in Wal-Mart, just to pass time. Another thing about this year was that it seemed like last year we stayed in more, had more things planned with her family, and didn't spend nearly as much dough. This year was mostly Mere and I getting away for awhile to explore towns around and new scenery. We hiked so many of the surrounding trails last year that we just kind of wanted to avoid it and go out more. We skipped across the border and into South Carolina for an afternoon. We went to Greenville and spent time in the downtown area. Very beautiful, especially the waterfall that is in the middle of town. It's gorgeous. The shops in the downtown area are all very unique and the restaurants looked amazing. I would go back.

On the way back we decided to stay in Nashville for the night with her sister. I've been to Nashville before but haven't realy explored the downtown area. Let me tell you now; I hate country music. I think it is awful. So going to downtown Nashville was interesting, but a good experience overall. One of my favorite parts of the trip?? DANCING ON THE BAR IN COYOTE UGLY! Loved it. Love performing/entertaining. If I would have known I was going to danced I would have dressed up better and brought my cowboy boots. Oh well, such is life. Spur of the moment is better.

A good trip overall. I enjoyed myself and it was good to get away. I need a change of pace once in awhile. However it is good to be back. Work resumed today and it went really well. Tomorrow is ballet and Phish! I am very excited! I just hope the rain stays away!

Have a Great day!

-Tessa




No comments: