December 30, 2010

Almost 2011. What a title!

I'm afraid tears may be shed at the stroke of midnight this year.
2010 was so good to me. I spent most of the time being 22. Golden.
I saw all of my favourite artists (lacking David Byrne, of course).

1) Florence + The Machine (and I got the setlist!)
2) Natalie fucking Merchant (!!!!!!!!) (got a setlist here too! :D)
3) Spoon (twice)
4) Metric
5) Thom Yorke (Atoms For Peace)
6) Passion Pit &
7) Modest Mouse.

We will close out our year with The Black Keys in the city tomorrow. I'm so anxious. I have done so much this year. Eric and I took a wonderful vacation to Savannah and Hilton Head and we took a quick five day trip to Portland and a few getaways in the mix. I traveled to Japan and saw my niece for the first time and got to visit with my brother and sister-in-law for the first time in 4+ years. My Nephew, Jack was born and he was the first baby I've ever held (I'm baby weird for sure) and he rocks. I moved out of my house and I love living with my best friend, it's been such a great experience. So many great experiences this year!

As much as I like to dip around in the past, I sure do like to wipe that slate clean and settle complacently into a new year. Although, it will be more than complacent, because that seems like a dull state to be in. I will settle enthusiastically into 2011. How dreadful the age 23 sounds. I hope to make it a fun and beautiful year, I won't let the number get to me.

So in my last post I mentioned PJ Harvey. This is hardly something to skim over. The past few weeks have been profound in terms of musical adoration. I liked her before, but I now love her work. This song in particular; The Dancer. When I hear this song, I feel like she is scraping my soul, or it makes me feel like I'm home but I can't explain why. I can see it being on the list of songs I permanently love. Speaking of lists, Terri Hemmert (my favourite DJ ever) was talking about how the British Magazine, Q, posted a list of the top 30 albums released over the past 25 years.; see here. I can only imagine how hard the list was to compile, but it's fascinating to see the results (keep in mind, it's not an American source).

But alas, tomorrow is the last day of the year and again, like a broken record, I am sad to see it go. I anticipate 2011 because I believe that although 2010 was great, I believe that I will go into 2011 with more sense and perhaps more motivation. I learned a lot this past year, but I know that I will learn even more this year. I hope everyone has a beautiful new year. Spend it wisely!


-tessa

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I don't know why but 23 sounds like a dreadful age to me too! I am glad you had an awesome year, and have an awesome boyfriend to spend it with!

I hope your New Year's rocks!